google-site-verification: google8185a54c17c0ee16.html
 

Our History

Contents
1818: Our Foundation and the Church Building

Our congregation first met on September 8, 1818, when a group of five men and eleven women met in a barn... Read More...

 
1918: Our Centennial Celebration

Our centennial celebration was observed over the weekend of September 7-8, 1918. Read More...

1965: Stained Glass Windows

In 1965, new windows were installed in the sanctuary, as well as the rest of the church. Read More...

 
1968: Remodeling for Our Sesquicentennial

During the 29-year pastorate of Rev. William J. Cartmell, our building expanded to better serve our community. Read More...

1990s: The Broadcast Era

Starting in the mid-1990s, our Sunday worship services were broadcast on network television. Local-Access TV Channel 5 allotted us one hour at noon, immediately following the end of each 11:00am service.

The endeavor was started by one ambitious congregant, local high school journalism teacher Mrs. Danna Brown. Each Sunday, she would tape the service on her own camcorder — purchased for this express purpose — and then sprint over to Watkins Glen High School with the freshly recorded VHS cassette.

The high school was equipped with professional facilities for her Broadcast Journalism students to review local sporting events, and report on local news, health and political activities. As their teacher, Mrs. Brown had access to the local broadcast system; but of course, she had no time to make edits before the video aired each week. The next show began promptly at 1:00pm, whether or not our service had reached its conclusion!

Videography at First Presbyterian Church

 

After Mrs. Brown's retirement from Watkins High in 2003, Marilyn Cross took over these responsibilities using new equipment that the church had purchased. The broadcasts continued for roughly another decade, when the high school was remodeled and their newly-antiquated tape-based broadcasting equipment was abandoned.

 

In fact, none of these efforts were resumed until 2020, when COVID shutdown necessitated a new online strategy. But that's another story...

^ back to top

2004: Millennial Modernization

The new millennium brought many changes to the church building under our new pastor, Rev. Bev's guidance. Read More...

2018: Our Bicentennial Celebration

In 2018, our newly installed pastor, the Reverend Cara S. Milne, created a small group of dedicated workers to organize an exciting Bicentennial gathering of new and former ministers, members and congregants. Read More...

2020: COVID Shutdown

With only two years in Watkins Glen, Pastor Cara found herself at the helm of another turning point in our congregation's history; or rather, in all of history! A new strain of coronavirus ravaged the world's population as nothing had in the previous century. Read More...

 
Ongoing: Charitable Programs

As we continue to maintain, repair and refurbish our beautiful Romanesque building, of course, we are ever mindful of the fact that the true Church is the body of believers, and not just a piece of architecture. Read More...

Additional Resources

Much of this information was taken from "A Brief History: United Presbyterian Church of Watkins Glen, N.Y." by Abigail O'Daniels, dtd. October 20, 1968. (Get PDF Reader)

 

For additional information about the history of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, please refer to extensive resources available at "Presbyterian Historical Society: The National Archives of the PC(USA)."

Follow Us

 

  • Facebook
  • Vimeo
  • YouTube
  • Google Listing
  • Blogger
Help Us Help Others

 

Were you blessed by one of our videos? Please consider making a donation via PayPal now:

Pastors Through the Years
Sixth & Decatur (1868-Present)

2017 Rev. Cara S. Milne

2016 Rev. Cynthia A. Weaver *

2015 Rev. Nancy Meehan Yao *

1997 Rev. Beverly Karr-Lyon †

1996 Rev. Thomas C. Montgomery *

1987 Rev. W. David Ashby
1985 Rev. William R. Knox *
1969 Rev. Clark N. McKinney
1939 Rev. William J. Cartmell
1934 Rev. Clayton T. Griswold
1916 Rev. Arthur B. Herr, D.D.
1910 Rev. James Elmer Russell
1905 Rev. Selden L. Haynes
1893 Rev. Louis F. Ruf
1888 Rev. Bryce K. Douglas
1882 Rev. George D. Meigs
1877 Rev. Milton Waldo D.D.
1876 Rev. William Lowrie
1870 Rev. J.S. McNair

* interim pastor

pastor emeritus

 

Fifth & Decatur (1847-1868)

1860 Rev. Franklin S. Howe
1855 Rev. Benjamin Russell
1847 Rev. S.B. Shearer

 

The Savoy Site (1833-1847)

1843 Rev. Samuel Stryker
1838 Rev. Samuel Scott
1836 Rev. Royal West
1835 Rev. Egbert Roosa

 

The Diven Barn (1818-1833)

1832 Rev. Charles Goodrich
1831 Rev. David Harrower
1829 Rev. Richard Williams
1826 Rev. Jabez Chadwick
1826 Rev. Samuel White
1825 Rev. Henry Ford
1822 Rev. Joseph Crawford
1821 Rev. Lyman Barrett
1818 Rev. Samuel Parker
1818 Rev. David Higgins